I wish my first 2018 blog post would be exclusively about wishing you all the best and prosperity for this year.
Unfortunately, my return from the holidays was a rude awakening courtesy of the “nice” people at zoxtel.com. They completely ripped off the Glam Ink design, including my Google Analytics tracking code. So when I returned to work instead of planning new projects I had to take the time to contact the them to at least have the decency to delete my code from the stolen design, and to contact the Google Analytics Support Team to report the problem.
The ugliest part of this issue is that somehow my whole Google Analytics traffic history disappeared from my GA dashboard and I get only the zoxtel.com website traffic in reports. I don’t exactly know how this could have happened, why is Google Analytics reporting traffic from another domain (different from the property’s domain) and where is all my traffic history gone.
I’m anxiously waiting for a response from Google Analytics Support Team. I’ll update this post as soon as I have news.
UPDATE 1: I got a reply from zoxtel.com that they’ve deleted my Google Analytics code from their website, but that they “bought the template of this site on one of the aggregators on the Internet.” So, either there’s somebody out there that ripped off my Glam Ink theme and sells it including my Google Analytics code… or they just said that. Because we live in a world in which people generously pay thousands of dollars for ads, but refuse to pay 15$ for a template from a genuine shop or use a free one from the multitude available. I asked for proof of purchase, but they avoided to provide one.
Zoxtel didn’t provide a link to the forum thread, or a payment proof. But in the end it really isn’t relevant anymore whether they scraped my theme themselves or really bought it from someone. The damage is done, I lost all my Google Analytics history (I’m still baffled by this, I have no idea what happened). And the Google Support Team is not at all in a rush to answer my ticket…
Meanwhile I changed my Google Analytics code and resumed business as usual.
UPDATE 3: Zoxtel asked to allow them 3 days to change their design, I agreed, and it looks like they kept their end of the bargain. They changed it enough so that the resemblance is minimized, and somebody wrote a decent html.